Sunday, February 22, 2009

Day Fifty Three - The Value of Time


A lot of people stay busy but they aren't productive. Do you know what it takes to get the most out of your day?

We measure the value of time by how we spend it. "How was church today?" A friend asks. "Wonderful", you respond. "I had a great time." In another instance your spouse inquires about how your recent job interview went, "Terrible" you reply. "It was a complete waste of time." It's a safe bet that if you spent a day doing something that energized you or that produced a desired result, you felt the day was good. On the other hand, if you spent the good part of a day doing something you didn't enjoy or didn't produce a desired outcome, you probably felt the day was a loss.

Pay close attention to this interpretation of "Psalm 23" by Marcia Hornok from Todd Duncan's book entitled "Time Traps" . . .

"The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me to deep depression, it hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy, for activity's sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task,
I will never get it all done, for my "ideal" is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines, my in-basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever."

Who wants to live in the "bonds of frustration forever"? We all experience guilt when we waste time and delight when we spend it well. Time is both wonderful and horrible. It's wonderful because it holds so much possibility. It can be enjoyed and spent with family, close friends, or in doing some activity that brings pleasure and a sense of fulfilment. Theres no better way to waste time than to dwell upon the past. We must all learn from our failures and mistakes and not agonize over the things we cannot change.

Having been born and raised in Indiana, basketball is huge sport in the Hoosier State. Here in Ohio, they put footballs in a boy's baby crib . . . in Indiana it's a basketball! I played a lot of basketball with my friends growing up and for a couple years I made the team at Southeastern College. It's a game momentum, and if things aren't going so good, the coach would often call a "time out" to change that momentum. In sports, time management is crucial, it helps you keep your priorities straight. As the clock runs down you find yourself literally racing against time. To be successful you must remain alert, focused, and disciplined.

As a Christian we must do the same. Time can be our most important resource. Take for example ten minutes . You and I can do so much in ten minutes. Yet ten minutes once gone . . . is gone for good. Ten minutes represents a piece of you. Divide yourself into ten minute segments and try to sacrifice as few of them as possible in meaningless activity.

In the next ten minutes what could you do that would bring enjoyment or a sense of accomplishment into your life? You could spend it in prayer, calling a friend, writing a letter, or reading a chapter or two in your Bible, or do some other meaningful activity . Take a moment and leave me your comments and suggestions or better yet, let me know what you accomplished in a ten minute time span.

1 comment:

Shirley Anderson said...

We see you as not only our son in law but as an amazing man of God. We have seen you walk through the fire and come out without the smell of smoke. We see you live your words and walk the talk. We love you and are proud of you and know that God is pleased. We pray for you and the many wonderful people in the church.