Thursday, July 12, 2012

When People Pray

Last night after our worship set I gathered those in attendance for our mid-week service around the altar in a large prayer circle. And we prayed.

* We prayed for our students at youth camp
* We prayed for Sunset Christian Academy's upcoming school year and enrollment
* We prayed for all the individuals and families who have thus far accepted the 90 Day Tithing Challenge
* We prayed for this coming weekends service and message

When God's people pray powerful things happen. In the Book of Acts it records a prayer meeting of 120 in an upper room. They had no clue as to what was going to take place. The end result was that God sent His Holy Spirit to fill them and they went out from that experience and radically impacted the world!

Sadly today, for far to many times, we've gotten used to doing without the powerful presence of the Holy Spirit working in our lives. After the service I had a great conversation with one of our regular attenders and he and I spoke at length about the need for individuals to get desperate once again and to invite the Holy Spirit to come back into their lives and give Him control.

Recently my wife Shari introduced to our church a song entitled "We Are Hungry".  Some of the lyrics are...

       "Lord I want more of you
         Living Water rain down on me
         Lord I need more of you
         Living Breath of Life come fill me up

Chorus
 
         We are hungry we are hungry
         We are hungry for more of You
         We are thirsty O Jesus
         We are thirsty for more of You

This song is anointed. It reminds me of how desperate King David had become when he wrote Psalms 63:1-2 (NLT).
         "O God, you are my God
          I earnestly search for you.
          My soul thirsts for you;
          my whole body longs for you
          in this parched and weary land
          where there is no water."

He knew that something wasn't quite right. Something was missing from his life. When we find our passion evaporating and our spiritual consistency becoming hit or miss. Do we notice the Holy spirit's presence gone from our hearts and lives? What is it that keeps holding us back from seeking and searching for Him diligently?

We know there's more! We want more! But we seem unable to find it anymore. Isn't it time to rediscover what it means to "pray through"? Maybe it's time to create a prayer circle for our lives, family, and church? Desperate times require desperate measures. let's take our holy desperation to God together!

I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store for us this Sunday! I hope to see you and your guests this weekend at Sunset Chapel!

No comments: