Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Five Things I'm Thankful For!

Most people across America will be focusing this Thanksgiving on turkey and football. And without a doubt I'll do my fair share of both too! But this year I wanted to stop and create a list of things I'm thankful for.. so here goes!

I'm so thankful for the grace God poured down on my life as an eight year old boy sitting in a Sunday School class taught by Mark Frazer in my hometown of Anderson, Indiana. He introduced me to Christ and my life has been forever changed because he cared enough to get involved and teach kid's about God's love. I am also grateful for godly men like George Tilley, DuWayne Robinette, Larry Frazer, Ken Culp and Gary Allison who also left their imprints on my life and helped God capture my heart at an early age. I wouldn't want to imagine the kind of troublesome person I would have become had these men not poured into my life.

I'm so thankful for my incredible wife! From the first hour we spent together on the campus of Southeastern University (cutting classes) I have loved her. I know every expression on her face, all her gestures, her movements, even the slightest motion of her soul. She is heavens gift to keep me balanced, focused and sane. I'm not sure I could even in a thousand ways begin to tell her what it means to come home to her! Her smile has dazzled me daily for over 28 years now. Her encouragement gives air to my soul! I am a blessed man!!

I'm so thankful for my son's Calvin and Randall. They continue to help me keep pace with life and current with the realities of what young people are facing! At first it was my responsibility to teach and lead them. But for a long time now, that role has been reversed. I am grateful for the many childhood memories, the humorous incidents, and the meaningful moments I have in my heart from watching them grow into the young men they've become. Someone once said that "gratitude is the memory of the heart". My heart is filled today as I reflect on the numerous blessings these two have given their mother and I.

I am so thankful for the staff and leaders here at Sunset Chapel. You are all awesome and amazing people! Together we are making a difference in Miami!! I acknowledge your many hours of hard work from a heart that overflows with appreciation. Each of you are a gift to my life. I feel so absolutely blessed to work beside such caring, committed and gifted individuals! I owe a debt of gratitude to each of you as you contribute to the spiritual growth and vitality of Sunset Chapel. Few churches are blessed with the rare combination of gifts, character and leadership that you all possess!

I am so thankful for a church that has caught the heart of God and is filled weekly with the atmosphere of celebration, abundant hugs, and bursts of laughter! Sundays are my favorite day of the week!! I am humbled to serve as your pastor. Each week I have the privilege to stand before the greatest people on the planet!!


No comments: