Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ready for an Invitation

A study done by LifeWay Research Group found that more than half of Americans would be willing to visit a church if invited by family members, friends or neighbors. Sixty-three percent said that they would attend a church at the recommendation of a family member, while fifty six percent said they would go with a friend or neighbor. YOUR UNCHURCHED FRIENDS ARE READY FOR AN INVITATION. Clearly relationships are important to receiving a positive response to any invitation. Just the other day in my apartment complex a young student still in high school introduced himself to me and asked me "If I died would I go to heaven?" He didn't know me and we had never met prior to this encounter. His question didn't bother me at all, especially since I already knew my answer. But is walking up to a complete stranger the best way to invite someone to church and to invite Christ into their life??? I think that it might sometimes, especially if it is God who is directing you to do so. But actually engaging someone in conversation often and getting to know them is invaluable to getting them to open their heart and mind to even consider establishing a relationship with God and a local church. I encouraged the young man and commended him for his boldness to even walk up to a complete stranger and begin a conversation. But this got me to thinking, are you engaging anyone in conversation and beginning to build a relationship that will enable you to someday invite them to church or even to ask them to consider making Christ a part of their life? I am very grateful that we don't just sporadically invite others to be our guest's at Sunset Chapel, but we are intentionally looking to establish and build genuine relationships with those who are far from God. I can't help but think that it's a good thing when more and more people are becoming involved at Sunset Chapel and we are beginning to see potentially something truly great materialize here in Miami! Keep investing and inviting those around you!

No comments: