Wednesday, September 24, 2008

the simple life!





While on vacation, nearby to my sister's residence, we discovered nestled among some of Tampa's most expensive real estate, seemingly out of place and lost in time, a quaint farm that will remind many of a simplier time and season of life. Marion Lambert is the owner of this quaint farm. He owns a single milking cow that he named "Lilly Bell", a handful of pigs, goats, working horses, banji chickens and thousands of honey bee's producing both wildflower and orange blossom honey. He sell's the milk, eggs, and honey on the "honor system" on a roadside stand located at the front entrance to his farm.

we very much enjoyed this visit with Mr. Lambert, he was very gracious with his time towards us. He is a simple man surrounded with simple ways of living, pleasures and purposes. For him simple is in and complexity is out!

In their book "Simple Church" by Thom S Rainer and Eric Geiger, they state that "people are hungry for simple, because the world has become much more complex. The amount of information assesible to us is contiually increasing. The abiliby to interact with the entire world is now possible. Technology continues to advance at a rapid pace. The result is a complicated world with complex and busy lives.
And in the midst of all this complexity, people want to find simplicity, they long for it, seek it, pay for it, and even dream of it. Simple is in. It works. Many respond to simple".

How bout you? is there an experience or memory that you have had in your past, that reminds you of the joy and pleasures that simple living provided? I'd like to hear from you, step back from your busyness and share a memory that will once again refresh your spirit and bring joy to others! I look forward to reading your comments! And if you would like to get a hold of some great tasting honey, have I got a great connection for you!

6 comments:

Lori said...

I'd probably really like Mr Lambert's farm too. My kids always say I could be Amish. I like a lot of things the old fashioned way. Oh i get caught up in techno gadgets from time to time, but I agree, simple is pretty nice. My Nana used to take me down south to my great grandpa's house (we called him DadDad) and we snapped beans on the front porch for hours it seemed. Then we made fruit salad and hand cranked ice cream! Everyone had to take a turn cranking the handle, but it was worth it! It's still the BEST ice cream ever! On the drive down, my Nana would sing "Swing Low Sweet Chariot".... I didn't know till many years later that it was indeed CHARIOT... not Cherry-AH. haha! Thanks for taking the time to write these blogs pastor, and sharing a bit of you w/ us. We love ya!!

Katie Winstead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Winstead said...

Mum could be Amish. Milk honey and wildflowers always sound lovely to me haha anyways. I think the most simple time of my life was being little when you had all innocence and knew no evil. You played and never got tired. You could be covered in dirt and it was considered okay. Now you need jobs, a car and to pay for gas. It's tough. I miss have no worries.

Dean Elliott said...

No- the simple life is laying a hospital bed in Dayton with your buddy down the hall in another room and both of us are milkin' the most out of teh nurses to wait on us hand and foot for nearly a week together! And they still let us graduate from college!!!! Hey- proud of you guys- keep up the great job! Your OLD pal- Dean

Anonymous said...

Simple – it seems almost impossible to accomplish these days. The world is literally at our fingertips. We’ve been swept up in a society that thrives on more, more, more. We’re constantly on the move and wanting to know what's going on around us at all times. It’s demanding on your time and energy and can be extremely exhausting. But, I have great memories of a simpler time that I can look back on in the midst of the craziness.
My grandfather (Peepa) was from a very small town in Tennessee called Big Sandy and when I say small, I mean like a population of 500 people. He and my grandmother owned a second home there and would spend a good portion of the winters there. My mom spent most of her summers there as a child; in fact, she and my dad spent a week there this summer.
When I was growing up, and even into adulthood we would go to Big Sandy and stay in my grandparents’ house (sometimes while they were there and sometimes on our own) and our week consisted of sitting on the front porch waving to the passing cars (trucks mostly), fishing and playing games. I have to admit that as a child it often seemed boring, but as an adult I have a very different view. It was almost as if we stepped back in time where the world wasn’t able to push its way into our family. Now I look back with gratitude for what I gained during those times, a keen awareness of God in the stillness and an appreciation for a much simpler time.

Dr. Milton said...

I agree with Robyn... Jenny's grandparents in Greece lived in a studio/1-bedroom house most of their lives with only a couple light fixtures and a kitchen. Nevertheless, they were always SO happy. It seems as if the more you get the more you want and, if you are not careful, the less of God you have, because there remains no place for Him in your life!